Posted: June 11th, 2012 | Author: angella | Filed under: Calgary, Independent boutiques, Retail, Vancouver | Tags: plum, plum calgary, plum clothing store, plum vancouver | No Comments »
I’ve been meaning to do a write up on Plum for a very long time. I think I haven’t done one yet in part because it’s sort of my best-kept secret store, in calgary anyways. Most women/clients I speak with have never heard of Plum. Thats too bad because it’s a pretty great store for many reasons. I guess I should start sharing my best kept secret and tell you all the reasons you should check them out for yourself.
1. Plum is a canadian company. Their head office is in Vancouver. The have an in-house/exclusive line which is designed and manufactured in vancouver (3 actually – Plum, Simone and Tobias). They also carry other lines as well, most of them canadian-based and manufactured in canada. Read more about how Plum is proudly canadian here.
2. Department -store shopping experience. Sort of. I like taking clients to Plum because they have everything – cool jewellery (usually canadian designers), shoes, belts, accessories, handbags, clutches, scarves, under garments like sheer tank tops, leggings – clothing styles range from business clothing to party dresses, mavi jeans, yoga jeans, blazers, sweaters… Yes. They have all this under one roof.
3. Price points are very reasonable, given the made in canada designation.
4. Customer service. Is always fantastic, at every location. (I’ve been to all of them) Never any pretension in these stores.
5. Plum is a mother/daughter type boutique which really just means age appropriate for all women.
Posted: April 11th, 2012 | Author: angella | Filed under: Calgary, Independent boutiques, Profiles, Retail | Tags: calgary fashion, calgary independent boutiques, calgary retail, mariah contemporary clothing | No Comments »
You don't get this kind of experience at the mall.
I’ve had a pretty amazing and busy month full of wardrobe appointments – mostly personal shopping with my clients. I’ve had some great experiences shopping in independent boutiques that I want to share with you all. I also had an aha! moment recently in my business that I’d like to share – I can’t stand the mall. So, I decided that I don’t need to take my clients to the mall, anymore. (unless it’s to The Bay downtown, which everyone knows I love) I’ve never enjoyed going to the mall in my life, so why would I take my clients there? Especially when I’m interested in independent fashion, boutiques and clothing lines? It’s always been most important to me to support indie fashion and boutiques and I love exposing my clients to stores they never knew existed.
[I won't say that I will completely rule out going to the mall, especially if I'm looking for value, I'm on a time-crunch, or if a client specifically suggests so - then of course, yes.]
I’d like to talk first about Mariah Contemporary Clothing located in Aspen Landing Mall (my favourite suburb of calgary if I had to pick one) I only just found Mariah but they have been around for 10years or so, in a different location. I loved everything I saw – really. It’s an extremely well-edited selection of merchandise, the opposite being my number 1 pet peeve in a store (besides terrible customer service). It’s the kind of place where you can shop side by side with your mom and everyone leaves looking appropriate. The ladies working on the sales floor were helpful, personable and respected that I was there with my client – which is truly tops in my wardrobe consultant book.
I’ll be taking more clients, my mom and myself back to Mariah very soon
It is SO important to support these independent businesses, especially in a city like Calgary. Big box and chain stores go hand in hand with urban sprawl which plagues our fine city. Support the little guy (or gal) whenever possible. You vote with your money.